This course exceeds all the requirements for NFPA 1001 Firefighter I and II (2019), and NFPA 1072 Hazardous Materials Awareness and Operations (2017).
This course is designed to provide the initial recruit training for recently hired volunteer or part-time firefighters. Students must be on a fire department and their Fire Chief or AHJ must sign them in for OFMEM IFSAC / ProBoard Certification Testing. Training includes independent online course work, followed by twelve days of practical training. The practical portion of the course is at the SFA campus and runs one weekend per month, for seven consecutive months. The final weekend involves OFMEM testing.
This program is approved by the Ministry of Training, Colleges, and Universities. At the end of the program, the successful student will be qualified to participate in testing provided by the Ontario Fire Marshal and Emergency Management Office, for IFSAC certification in:
- NFPA 1001 Firefighter Level I
- NFPA 1001 Firefighter Level II
- NFPA 1072 Hazardous Materials Awareness
- NFPA 1072 Hazardous Materials Operations
Must be a member of a municipal fire department
This course is broken down into three components:
- Online independent pre-class training: Upon enrollment, students will be mailed the IFSTA Essentials of Firefighting 7th edition and the IFSTA Hazardous Materials for First Responders textbooks and online course access. Students will follow a program to complete online course work independently.
- Practical instruction at the SFA campus
- OFMEM Testing
Some of the training includes: completing daily PPE/SCBA drills, throwing ladders, learning firefighter survival/RIT, practicing vehicle extrication on real cars, having exposure to live fire and flashover training, ventilating, forcing entry, and learning about hazardous materials. Students will be trained by active members of a wide range of departments throughout Ontario. They are leading instructors in the industry, who are extremely passionate about the fire service. Candidates will experience rigorous training sessions and run several scenarios, based on actual calls that our instructors have experienced. Students have the opportunity to use customized cutting-edge props, for the most realistic training available. This is training done the RIGHT way!
All training is conducted safely in accordance with Section 21 Guidance Notes, NFPA Standards for Increased Hazard Exposure Training, and experienced Southwest Fire Academy instructors with a 5:1 student to instructor ratio.
- Online independent pre-class training: approximately 300 hours
- Practical instruction at SFA campus: 12 days (36 hours) over six weekends, done monthly
- OFMEM Testing: 2 days over one weekend
Candidates successful in this program will receive a certificate of completion from Southwest Fire Academy, and will qualify to complete OFMEM testing on the seventh weekend of the program. Students must be on a fire department and their Fire Chief or AHJ must sign them in for OFMEM IFSAC / ProBoard Certification Testing. SFA cannot sign any student into OFMEM IFSAC / ProBoard testing sessions.
What is Included
- Use of SFA PPE and equipment (rental equipment available at an additional cost)
- Complete electronic JPR package (SFA retains all original documentation)
- Certificate of qualification
- SFA provides all instructors
What to Bring
- Black CSA approved footwear
- Two dark blue or black pairs of station duty pants
- Large water bottle
- Safety glasses
Please note: if this course is not filled to 75% capacity 7 days before it is scheduled to begin, it may be cancelled. In the event of course cancellation, you will be provided adequate notice and a full refund.
Accommodations may be available upon request for the duration of your program. If you are staying for one or two nights, the flat rate for accommodations is $50 plus taxes. If you are staying for three or more nights, the fee is $100 plus taxes, total. Regardless of how long you are on campus, your fee will not exceed $100 plus taxes. This fee grants you access to your bunk, a communal kitchen, parking, and washroom/shower facilities. Please contact SFA at 705-510-9501 or email@example.com with advanced notice, to reserve your spot.